Monday, June 25, 2007

A Leg!

And the efforts of this past weekend are starting to come together. I am still working on the other leg, and I need to get the under shoulder details attached.

oh.. and here is some more random work.

Yes that is an AC power strip. I am mounting my chargers inside my droid, and have a few other things I want to be able to plug in.. This strip will only be functional when he is in a charging situation.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

progress again

From my past posts, it is probably very noticeable that I can not keep focus on one aspect of my droid at a time. This post is not unlike the rest. I have been working on things all over my droid. You name it, I worked on it.

This post represents several days work, and I will probably have another post for the stuff I get done today.

A week ago I ordered a nibbler from radio shack. My goal with this item is to complete coin returns using the tried and true method provided by Chris Lee.

Chris Lee's Coin Return Tutorial

This picture is my first steps to completing my coin returns. I will have more pictures in my next post about these.

Legs. I did some bondo work on my legs a few days ago. Although they are not 100% smooth, I am fairly satisfied with the results. Some people seem to like bondo. I will pass on it the next time I am in a situation where I can use something else.

ah.. more coin return stuff. I was apparently working on these while I was waiting for bondo to dry and or just getting out of the heat.

Legs primed. Used an old ladder and some coat hangers to suspend these while painting.

And white paint. Got 3 good coats on these and they are looking very good.

ALU horseshoes from Daniel were very easy to work with. Just ran a 600 grit sandpaper over it, cleaned it with ALU-prep, primed and painted.

This is stuff I am actually working on right now. I am doing this post while waiting for this coat to dry. This represents the bulk of the blue paint I need to get done before Dragon Con. I still need to do my 300mm dome work, but I am thinking that will wait till this fall.

OK, more tonight probably... and sorry for the delay on updating this site. My personal issues still continue. I have made contact with a lawyer and hope that I can get through this without her help.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

parts and re-painting

Just trying to get started again after not productively working on my droid for more than a week. I can't say that I didn't look at him at all during that time, but anything I started ended up not working out. I have been fairly distracted for a few weeks by some ongoing personal issues...but enough about that..


Michaels Octagon came in and they are fantastic. Just need to figure out what size screws I need.

Holo's are here. Amazing work on these.

I was not satisfied with the metallic paint I used the first time I tried to get these resin parts in shape. This time around i didn't buy the fancy can and just got the most generic rattle can of Rustoleum metallic paint and they look much better.

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Short Break

This week, I didn't get much accomplished. I messed around with some bondo on the legs, and glued together a few other things. I hope to get back to it this week sometime, and will have another update with some pictures.

Things that need to be done include:
Bondo/Sand legs
Install battery chargers
Paint stuff (lots)

Spent most of this weekend messing with my cell phone. Managed to get it upgraded to windows mobile 6.
Anyway... more soon.

Sunday, June 3, 2007

skins almost done

Been working on the skins on and off the past few days. This set of pictures spans from last Thursday to today. I know it doesn't look like much, but this stuff took time.

On Friday I got my panels all taped into place. I used silicone to glue everything that was going to be semi-permanent.

I did the same with the arm sections of the skins.

Saturday, I started messing around with the Robart Hinges. I tried a few different setups to see how to make these things work. Using silicone made this testing process easy to tear apart and start over.

While I was waiting for the silicone to dry, I managed to get a few things painted. I still need to paint the power couplers and coin slots.

Skins on. Dome set on top just for effect. You will notice that I have one door open. This is my problem door. I will need to solve a few problems...specifically the threaded rod that is right in the way.

All the doors open.
This is looking better, but several tweaks need to be done.